Check Your Home for Electrical Hazards

There can be electrical hazards in your home that you do not even realize are there. Most people see frayed cords or notice an outlet that stops working. However, there are hidden hazards that can be very dangerous. Of course, if you notice a burning smell inside your home, you should turn off the breakers until the source is located. Each year there are thousands of house fires caused by electrical hazards in the US.

Bad Outlets

If an outlet doesn’t work, you know there is something wrong. However, if you plug an appliance into it and the plug falls out, this can be a fire hazard. Don’t adjust the prongs on the appliance and plug it back into the outlet. If your outlets have not been replaced for some time, the blades inside could have become loose. This causes excess heat in the outlet and can cause a fire.

In addition to this problem, you might have outlets that work sometimes, but other times they do not. This could indicate loose wiring or another problem. Electricity is very dangerous and should be checked by a professional. Mister Sparky provides electrical contractors orange park fl.


Most people do not think about it, but the lighting in your home is a common cause of electrical fires. Pay attention to recommendations from the manufacturers of lamps and other types of lighting. Using a higher wattage bulb than is recommended can cause overheating and a fire. Lights should not flicker. This could be a sign of faulty wiring. Placing lamps near flammable materials could also cause a fire.


The wiring in your home may need to be updated. Today, there are dozens of electronics and appliances that were not in existence even a few years ago. If your home is older, the wiring should be checked to make sure it can handle all the electrical appliances you are using. Even breaker boxes that are not up to date can fail to trip when overloaded. This can also cause an electrical fire.